Direct mail can be a very powerful medium, no matter what your business’ goal is. With social media and email marketing becoming such a big part of consumer marketing strategies, and inboxes being inundated with promotions; a tactile, physical piece of mail can make a very refreshing difference.
When thinking about running a direct mail campaign, ensure that you set key targets and goals, and most importantly, know who your audience are. Direct mail can work well for both retention and acquisition, you just need to ensure that you plan the campaign out well to maximise your responses.
We’ve put together some top tips to ensure you get the most out of your direct mail campaign, whatever your goals may be.
1. Update your database. Before you can send anything out, or begin thinking about who you are sending your mail to – ensure that your data is clean and up to date. There is nothing worse than sending mail to the wrong house, getting someone’s name wrong, or missing a key customer to make your response rates fall. Cleaning your database will not only improve your direct mail campaigns, but it will help other areas of your business too.
2. Make it targeted. Find out as much as you can about your customers, and personalise your mail accordingly. Knowing a consumer’s basic demographics and interests can really help you to whittle your target audience down, which in turn will reduce waste and increase response rates.
3. Testing and segmentation. Depending on your campaigns goals, you may want to think about testing different segments of your target audiences, or testing different creatives. By doing this, you can learn the most effective routes for future campaigns.
4. Get creative. Try to think outside the box with your direct mail. What is most likely to get your message across? What can you send that will get your potential or current customers to sit up and pay attention? Could you send handwritten envelopes, or something that would pop up? For some inspiration, why not read our blog post to see some great examples of clever direct mail.
5. Follow up, record and evaluate. When you have sent your campaign out, ensure that you follow up on the response rates to maximise the outcome of your campaign. Think about using a cross channel approach, and following up with an email marketing campaign. Ensure that you keep a record of your campaign’s success and evaluate how well it did or didn’t go, so that you can learn for your next campaign. Many businesses become successful through a test and learn philosophy, and you can do the same.
There are many more ways that you can increase the success of a direct mail campaign, and these are simply five of our top tips. At Citipost Mail we help our customers manage the posting of their bulk mailings, so if you are thinking of sending out a direct campaign then get in touch and see how we can help you.